For the longest time, the only solution for dealing with hard water issues (calcium, magnesium, etc.) in a swimming pool was to drain your pool and refill it. As a swimming pool owner especially in Arizona, dealing with high levels of Calcium Hardness and Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) in our tap water is a major issue. As swimming pool water evaporates the hardness minerals remain in solution, increase in concentration, and scale the interior finish, the tile, as well as, your pumps and motors. This is not only a major eyesore to see on decorative tile but also on your water features as well. During the summer months when the water is warm it can be challenging to keep up with the chlorine demand thus it’s possible your water will become cloudy or green.
Anyone in the swimming pool industry would tell you to drain your pool and start over approximately every 2-3 years. At that point, you can either drain it or recycle the water. Since our fill water is already higher than the recommended amount of calcium in a swimming pool (200 – 400 ppm) we recommend recycling your pool water using The Puripool Process.
Living in the Peoria area, we figure why waste hundreds of thousands of gallons of water when it can be recycled instead? That is why we utilize Reverse Osmosis (RO) filtration to give you the best water quality. The RO system runs off a generator and high-pressure making water loss extremely minimal. Typically, when we recycle a swimming pool it’s possible for us to conserve 85% of the water.
How it works:
- 2 hoses are dragged out to the swimming pool
- The intake hose has a small pump attached to it and brings the swimming pool water into the trailer
- The water passes through RO membranes that remove/lower calcium, phosphates, CYA, TDS, waterborne diseases, and other hardness minerals.
- The return hose takes the filtered pool water back to the swimming pool and the water is pure enough to drink.
- The unit can process 30,000 gallons of water a day.
- By conserving up to 85% of the water in the swimming pool this is a perfect alternative to draining a swimming pool.
Benefits of recycling vs. draining a swimming pool:
- Recycling takes less time
- Drinking water quality is much better than tap
- Increases the lifespan of the swimming pool, pumps, and filters
- The feel of swimming in soft water
- Water conservation
- Saves money on chemicals
- Better for your hair, skin, nails, and clothing
- Decreases complaints of itchy skin and red burning eyes
- No downtime because you can swim during filtration
- No potential for exposing or cracking the interior finish of the pool.
This service is very similar in cost to a drain and refill but is a little bit more expensive. The bottom line is giving our customers a superior product and doing our part to help with water conservation. If you should have any questions on how this service works, please contact us today!